Office Remodel to Ensure Your Safety
Our office remodel is complete! Summerwood is open and ready for patients. Treatment rooms are isolated. Hospital grade, built-in HEPA filters in the ceiling and external vacuum ventilation are ready to go! Summerwood Family Dental has designed special treatment rooms to handle airborne infectious disease and virus in response to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Each treatment room is specially isolated from the other rooms. Each dental chair has an overhead aerosol extraction flume connected to a virus-capture High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter.
We will be capturing 99.9% of all viruses and no aerosols will leave the treatment rooms. Laminar airflow in the dental treatment rooms have total clean air exchange over 9 x per minute through HEPA filtration. Currently being installed, custom, state of the art, Cleanroom Dentistry™. Stay safe! Breathe easy!
The world has changed and so have we!
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Dr. Spaniel has been concerned about finding every possible way to ensure the safest dental office for our patients and our staff. After careful consideration of the many “ready to use” stand-alone suction units and air purifiers on the market to help control contaminants, Dr. Spaniel and her team of specialists did not feel those systems were adequate.
We have assembled a highly specialized team to completely redesigned our treatment areas, and office HVAC system to ensure the highest level of safety for our patients and staff.
- Dental procedures, dental hygiene ultrasonic scalers, and sick patients create hazardous Bio-aerosols. This toxic cloud contains bacteria, viruses, blood-borne pathogens, particulates, and biofilm. Dr. Spaniel’s custom-designed treatment rooms remove these aerosols and droplets via a high-speed suction system, a medical-grade HEPA filtration system removes particles down to 0.1 microns, and inside the system, all viruses and bacteria that are trapped in the filter are killed.
- Dental Treatment rooms MUST be isolated to contain the Bio-aerosols in the room. These pathogens are removed in the room through a High-Efficiency Particulate Filtration (HEPA) System. A unique built-in, ceiling-mounted extra oral suction system is positioned near the mouth to remove aerosols at the source. Also, two HEPA filters in the ceiling create a laminar airflow, changing the air in the room over 13x per minute. This “CLEAN ROOM” effect ensures any ambient contaminants are cleared from the room and neutralized.
- The HVAC system has been redesigned to control the supply and return air are purified thought the ENTIRE office. Breathe easy in the reception area as this air is scrubbed to 0.1 microns.
- Sensor instruments measure the airflow, collection of contaminants, and filter activity. Measurement of the air purification is necessary.
- This custom system exceeds the certification requirements by CDC, ASHRE, TSS, Airstream and more.
Watch our story on KOIN 6 News.
We have always followed strict OSHA and CDC infection control protocols.
- Along with “universal precautions” that include continual handwashing before and after we see each patient, we consistently wear of approved personal protective equipment by our doctor and staff.
- We use a hospital-grade Midmark M11 autoclave sterilizer that we spore test daily to ensure the complete eradication of spores thus providing proper sterilization of all instruments.
- We thoroughly disinfect all surfaces in each treatment room and our laboratory with Cavicide spray and wipes to ensure proper disinfection and elimination of 99.9% of microbes.
Due to COVID-19:
- We have eliminated the coffee bar and removed the magazines from the reception area.
- We are limiting the number of patients we allow in the reception area at one time and have indicated seating to keep our social distancing.
- Every hour we are wiping down and disinfecting the reception area.
- We have also been disinfecting all door handles, bathroom surfaces, and the waiting room to ensure the safest environment possible.
It was a big step to alter our office environment and standard operating procedures. The quality of our dentistry and our personalized care NEEDS to be performed in the safest environment possible.
We look forward to seeing you at your next visit!
Call to schedule a dental appointment: (503) 906-8600